Professor Steven Brown
Consultant General Surgeon
QualificationsMBChB, BMedSci, FRCS, MD
Main NHS base:
Northern General Hospital
Scope of Practice:
- General Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic (keyhole) Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Colorectal Cancer
- Haemorrhoid Surgery including HALO/THD
- Pelvic Floor Problems
- Incontinence Surgery, Prolapse Surgery & Constipation
- Open and Laparoscopic (keyhole) Hernia Repair
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Fistulas and Fissures
- Bowel Cancer Screening
- Benign Skin Lesions
Training & background:
Professor Brown is a Consultant General Surgeon at the Northern General Hospital, with a busy private practice at Claremont.
Professor Brown has been a consultant specialising in colon, rectal and anal problems as a consultant since 2002 and as a Professor of Surgery at the University of Sheffield since 2016. He has trained mainly locally in Sheffield, graduating in 1990. ‘He is due to be President of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland in 2020.
Professor Brown has an interest in a broad range of procedures within this field. These include:
- Colonoscopy. Trained initially by a Japanese specialist and subsequently in Singapore, he has carried out over 5000 procedures and is involved in the National Bowel Cancer screening programme. As a consequence of training most procedures can be carried out without the need for sedation.
- Haemorrhoids. Has published extensively and lecturer nationally and internationally on experience with novel innovations for haemorrhoids including HALO (THD), PPH ligature, RAFFAELO and Ultroid.
- Fistula surgery. Utilises novel techniques including OTSC. He has written national guidelines for management of fistulas in Crohn’s
- Inflammatory bowel disease. Works closely with gastroenterologists to provide seamless joint care. Chair of the national surgical lead group for inflammatory bowel surgery. Lead ileo-anal pouch surgeon in Sheffield. Regional representative for CCUK. Advocate of keyhole surgery for IBD. He lead on the recently published National guidelines for inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Constipation and incontinence. Founding member of The Pelvic Floor Society. Regional lead for pelvic floor problems with referrals from around the UK. Introduced novel techniques in this area into Sheffield including neuromodulation, injectable sphincter augmentation and fenix device.
- Hernia repair. Offers local anaesthetic repair.
Please note these are regular clinics, other times may be available by appointment
M: Monthly sessions A: Consulting alternative weeks A/H: Ad Hoc
Are you insured?
We welcome patients with private medical insurance and are recognised by all major health insurers.
Find out more
We welcome patients wishing to pay-as-they-go for treatment and offer a wide range of medical services and procedures.
Find out more