Weight Loss (Bariatric) Surgery
If you want to lose weight and have tried everything else without success, weight loss surgery may be an option for you. It is very important to understand that Bariatric Surgery is not suitable for everyone. Your BMI and personal circumstances will be evaluated and this procedure is not performed for cosmetic purposes.
Weight loss (bariatric) surgery is proven to be more effective at achieving long-term weight loss than non-surgical solutions such as diets or drugs. If you have a significant amount of excess weight to lose, weight-loss surgery can transform your life. It can improve your health and prolong your life by reducing your risk of obesity related health conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure, as well as improving your quality of life by giving you the energy to do the activities you want to do. There are 3 main types of weight loss surgery available at Claremont:
- Laparoscopic Gastric Banding – also known as lap banding works by making the patient feel full after eating only a small amount of food but reducing the volume of food held in the stomach. This means the patient with a gastric band eats less and thus loses weight.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass – this is a procedure that helps with weight loss by reducing the amount of calories absorbed from food, whilst simultaneously helping the patient to feel fuller for longer after smaller meals. There are two ways in which gastric bypass surgery works. 1) It restricts the capacity of the stomach. 2) It bypasses part of the digestive tract.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy – it is a type of weight loss surgery also known as gastric sleeve surgery, most appropriate for individuals with a BMI of 35 of above. It is more significant than gastric band surgery but less significant than gastric bypass surgery.
- Gastric Balloon – a gastric balloon procedure works by reducing the feeling of hunger in the patient. It also makes you feel fuller for a long period of time, even after eating only a small meal. It is one way of helping individuals lose weight without the need for invasive surgery.
In selected cases, we offer intra-gastric balloon insertion. We also perform revisional surgery for people needing further surgery, either for problems with a previous procedure or for inadequate weight loss with a previous operation.
If you choose to have weight loss surgery at Claremont Private Hospital, you will benefit from:
- A tailor-made weight loss service with care from a multi-disciplinary team including a Consultant Bariatric Surgeon, dietician and specialist nurse
- Consultations with a specialist dietician and Consultant Bariatric Surgeon who will carry out your procedure (not a nurse or advisor)
- 100 day expert online support programme via SimplyBariatrics
- On-going care and support from a team of specialists before, during and after treatment
- Competitive package prices, so you’ll know exactly what you’ll have to pay (with no hidden costs)
- A hospital with 60 years+ experience in healthcare and fully registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) & rated ‘Outstanding’
- The highest standards of nursing care and a friendly atmosphere
What are the benefits of weight loss surgery?
- Improvement or reduced risk of obesity related conditions including diabetes, sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease
- Improvement of your general wellbeing
- Ability to undertake more physical activity
- Increase in self-confidence
- Improved fertility in women of child bearing age
Our complete care package – Surgery is just the first-step in achieving successful long-term weight loss and improving your health, which is why our comprehensive weight loss service combines surgery with care and support from a multi-disciplinary team of experts to help you make lifelong changes.
Dietary support – To make sure that any treatment is tailored to your needs and expectations, we work with you to get a clear picture of your eating habits, dieting history, current weight and medical history. At your initial consultation you will have a full weight loss surgery assessment to determine which procedure may be more suitable for you. You will be advised about the diet and lifestyle changes that you will need to follow after your surgery, taking into account your current eating habits, health and lifestyle before seeing the Bariatric Surgeon who would carry out the procedure. In the long-term you will be able to eat out and enjoy a good variety of foods. However, while the surgery will help weight loss, unless you change your lifestyle, eating habits and portion sizes – surgery benefits could be greatly reduced. Our dietician will offer support and advice on a healthy, varied diet following surgery to ensure you get the right balance of portion size and nutrition. This will help you develop a long term, healthy eating plan to achieve life long, safe and successful weight loss.
Your hospital stay – We recognise that coming into hospital can be a daunting experience but we are committed to making sure your stay at Claremont Private Hospital is as easy, relaxed and comfortable as possible, with friends and family able to visit whenever you wish. You can expect to stay overnight for a gastric band, or 2 nights for gastric sleeve or bypass surgery. Your consultant will visit you during this time and you will be given written and verbal dietary advice by the dietician along with contact details to support you when you get home.
Aftercare – We believe looking after you following your surgery is an important part in helping you maintain your weight loss and health. Follow-up appointments are part of this, as is telephone and email contact with the dietician in case you have any questions or worries after your operation that cannot wait until your next appointment. Typically, for all weight loss surgery you will have the following post-operative follow-up appointments:
- 3 follow-up appointments with your surgeon
- 100 day expert online support programme via SimplyBariatrics
- Monthly follow-up appointments with your specialist dietician for the first 12 months
- Access to the specialist dietician for telephone or email advice and support between clinic appointments for the first 12 months.
- For gastric band patients, you will also receive band adjustments with our specialist nurse including 1 radiological band adjustment if required.
- The aftercare package is included in the price of your surgery.
Weight Loss (Bariatric) Surgery Consultants